Thursday, November 28, 2013

Our Thanks Giving Tree

Entitlement poisons thankfulness.

A wise friend who works for my favorite homeless shelter reminded me of this last week, but I see it so often at home as well. Living with a tween who's barely off the streets herself, but already expecting to have everything handed to her on a silver platter, proves this time and again.

Fortunately, if entitlement poisons thankfulness, the reverse is also true; gratitude is the antidote for entitlement. This year, we found Ann Voskamp's idea of a Thanks Giving Tree and started fighting that entitlement bug in our home by giving more credit to the Giver of all good gifts.
Each leaf holds a scripture about Thanks on one side, leaving plenty of room on the other to ruminate about specific things you want to appreciate more.
Throughout the month, like most of you, we've been a little more intentional about bringing the positive to the forefront of our minds.

We made leaves for all the obvious things we love so much like our dog Ruby, the Bulos (my parents), and all our wonderful family. "Church" is a simple one that would have made the obvious list for Jon or me, but it was a little more surprising hearing Angie suggest it, as it took us an entire year to get her plugged in, and she'd still rather stay home most Sundays. 

It was also music to our ears to hear her share such ideas as being able to talk to a God who hears us, and that we're part of the Kingdom of God.

Angie's very first leaf said that she's thankful to have a family now who doesn't hit her. If it would have fit on the paper she would have added that she wishes every kid could have a family who is nice to them. That girl has a heart of gold sometimes.

As this is my first Thanksgiving in four years in the States, I'm so thankful for food. God could have created manna to provide all our nutritional needs, but instead He gave us turkey, potatoes, pie, and ice cream, because He loves us that much.

I so appreciate cold weather and snow, with the contrasting warmth of slippers, a fireplace, and blankets.

I'm grateful for our little Angelica. Even though she doesn't always fit her Angel namesake, she holds a grudge more loosely than her momma, and she's willing to overlook my shortcomings faster than I see past her flaws. She may not act like the sweet cherubic "Angels" we hear so much about this season, but she brings me closer to Christ, in both the sweet moments and the trying ones, so what more could I ask for.

I praise God for my main man, who not only puts up with my crazy-passionate, justice-seeking side, my task-oriented, go-getter attitude, and all my other differences, but he embraces them. He balances me, complements me, and tempers me. I couldn't have chosen a better match to do life with.

I recognize, and love, that they are both quick to forgive me and show me so much grace.
And while we're fighting entitlement, my guys at Jefferson Street shelter help me with that regularly. This year, we enjoyed our Thanks Giving Tree so much that we decided to share them with our friends downtown for their Thanksgiving meal. 
 I pray that today, as they're struggling to stay warm and dry outside, that the scripture on the leaf they took with them from dinner last night reminds them to give thanks in all circumstances, and helps them focus on the positive with us. No matter how bleak our situation, when we set our mind on things above and give thanks for the abundance Christ lavishes on us all, the outlook gets a little brighter and His love starts to seep out of our pores like the aromas of a Thanksgiving meal baking in the kitchen...
"Enter His gates with thanksgiving; go into His courts with praise.
    Give thanks to Him and praise His name." -Psalm 100:4

1 comment:

Debra Beard said...

Lauren, a lovely reminder of what is important in our lives. And it isn't at the mall. All the best to you and your family.