Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Some of my favorite quotes from the books I've read recently

Starving Jesus
by J.R. Mahon and Craig Gross, the two guys who run
XXXCHURCH.com.

"Grab the people around you and serve them."

"Let's think about time in terms of two: your time spent drawing closer to God, and your time as a blessing to other people."

"You want to know if you're listening to God? Ask yourself one question: Who am I predominantly concerned with when I am making decisions?"

"I want and need to believe in the possibility of changing the world in the name of Christ."

"Three Cups of Tea
by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

"Inshallah." Which means Allah-willing.
The Muslims use this term so often in everyday speech, that it convicts me of how little credit we Christians give God for His working in our circumstances.

"Why ponder thus the future to foresee,
and jade thy brain to vain perplexity?
Cast off thy care, leave God's plans to Him--
He formed them all without consulting thee."
-Omar Khayyam, (with my revision of Allah to God)

Near the Far Bamboo
by Martin St. Kilda

"People are more important than programs. I'm committed to that view, but it is easy to forget. When one gets caught up with the Advisory Committee, the Planning and Management Committe, the Extended Coordinating Council, the urgent correspondence to answer, one forgets that the grass cutting lady is more significant than them all."

Walking With the Poor
by Bryant L. Myers

"Progress has peopled history with the marvels and monsters of technology, but has depopulated the life of man. It has given us more things but not more being. Life abundant is about living, not simply having."

"Evangelism is restoring people's relationship with God."

"At the end of the day, helping people learn how to learn is one of the most important parts of any transformative process."

"The Bible is that unusual book that reads us, even when we think we are reading it."

2 comments:

B said...

YOu always challange me. thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing forward these quotes. I hope that they will help to break me open and thus allow the Holy Spirit to realign my day.