Monday, November 10, 2008

A Little Sentimental

I was thinking about sharing a story that moved me yesterday, but in reflecting on it, other recent gestures that have touched my heart came to mind. So, I'll share them all.

  • The compassion of a co-worker who was bit in the face so badly by a dog that we spent six hours in the emergency room, but her questions continued to focus on the dog's well-being.
  • The obedience of a couple who gave to the church sacrificially in the face of daunting medical bills.
  • The sovereignty of a case of Mosaic water bottles I took to my apartment's office two months ago just now reaping fruit in a way that clearly looks like God's perfect timing.
  • The love of a friend from Jefferson Street Baptist Center, a homeless shelter in Louisville, that has contributed to my Bolivia fundraising not once, but three times!

And finally, a connection on the drug-infested streets of Southwest Baltimore yesterday. As we ventured back out to share the gospel and cookies with the ladies (refer back to my blog entry from Oct. 13th), one in particular stuck with me. Wearing only one shoe and proudly displaying an "I Voted" sticker she proved to be gentle, but not wholly lucid as she answered the question, "Who'd you vote for?" with the unprecedented running mates, "Biden and Palin." She then told our group that we should run for something; she'd vote for us. Later, she walked up to a couple of us talking and praying and complimented my necklace and asked if she could have it. Quickly, before I could talk myself out of it, I took it off and put it around her neck. She gave me a long hug and came up with tears in her eyes and with more clarity than I'd seen from her she said "Thank you, you touched me." As she continued to hobble around distracting others asking for anything: money, a drink, climbing into our van for a ride, I refused to let myself regret my hasty decision.

And this morning I'm still glad I did it. It makes me think of a friend who has trouble denying money to beggars, and my recent critique of his unwise use of funds. Even if we're being used, our loose grip on these possessions is admitting they're not really ours to begin with. Maybe she won't be reminded of Christ's love when she wears the necklace, maybe she's already lost it, but its absence will continue to remind me of God's unfailing love for her.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:21

No comments: