Monday, December 15, 2008

God works in mysterious, but really cool, ways.

As our homemade version of an "Angel Tree" Mosaic sponsored about 30 kids from RICA and 6 from Jessup Elementary School for Christmas. The response by Mosaic was, as usual, greater than expected (you'd think I'd start expecting great responses by now!) But, some last minute additions left us doing a little scrambling last week to make sure everyone was covered. A few overly-generous people took extra kids, recruited neighbors and even co-workers to participate.

But my favorite story was that of the last child's angel. The day before the gifts were due, I had all but given up on finding anyone to shop for this one when I stumbled into what seemed to be a divine appointment at work. In the exam room I found a young girl, a dog and a man on his cell phone.

Inconsiderate cell phone usage has been on the rise in our exam rooms recently, but this man was apologetic, so I was more forgiving with his apparent wasting of my time, and when he covered the phone and whispered to me he was talking to church, I, of course, became even more forgiving. After he finished his call I asked him what church he went to, which led to his summary of the conversation and his frustration with his church for not being able to provide him with needy family to shop for this Christmas. All he wanted to do was give a little back this season and to teach his kids that it's not all about receiving gifts. As you can imagine, I was quick to offer a solution to his problem. And quick to recognize God's handiwork in this surprising solution to our problem as well.

Tonight, about 20 Mosaicites joined about 30 RICA kids in a raucous celebration, to decorate cookies, ornaments and easels (in a massive game of Pictionary), before sharing the presents we'd brought them. I could tell the experience had a different effect on everyone involved, but I hope the common denominator for each of us was that we took at least a little more away from the party than we brought to it.
"Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift." -2 Corinthians 9:15

P.S. I'm heading to Mexico on the 17th. Your prayers for a flexible, unified, humble team of servants, and a God-glorifyingly successful week of outreach are greatly appreciated.
Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an amazing story about the last angel! Why do we ever doubt God?