Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hallelujahs

"Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples." Psalm 96:3
This summer, I've been intentional about trying to use my time as ministry instead of preparation for ministry. I want my words and actions to point to God. Over the past two nights I've heard messages on this very topic.

At a Perspectives class on Monday evening, David Bryant spoke about the Supremacy of God and recommended studying through the Bible and highlighting every verse that could be used to point to Christ. Over 60% of the Old and New Testament will be glowing with yellow.

Then, last night at The Post Amy Whikehart shared about using our words purposefully. If all of the words I spoke were given to me in a transcript at the end of the day, what would it look like if I highlighted the ones that pointed toward God? How long would it take for my highlighter to run out of ink?

She also told of an African Bible study where each Believer's introductions simply stated their name and that they were a follower of Jesus. It reminded me that Jovenita, our shopkeeper friend in Mexico, asked us if we were "Hallelujahs," their term for the local Believers. How watered down our introductions have become with our careers, hobbies, and descriptions of ourselves. I want my life to plainly state that I am a Hallelujah, nothing more, nothing less.
"This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow."
-Hillsong

1 comment:

B said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WYK6TxWX7s
YEAH BABY!