Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wonder

Brennan Manning tells a story of a dying rabbi who said, "Never once in my life did I ask for success or wisdom or power or fame. I asked for wonder and He gave it to me." I had just read this line in The Ragamuffin Gospel when I needed it.

Yesterday, was my first frustrating day in language school. I seemed to have lost my Spanish. I told this to my teacher in my 4th class and she playfully asked, "did it go on vacation?" I felt kind of like the prophets of Baal, when Elijah asked, is your god on vacation? "Perhaps he is daydreaming, or is relieving himself. Or maybe he is away on a trip, or is asleep and needs to be wakened!”* No matter how loud I shouted I could not seem to wake up my brain's linguistic system.

On my 40-minute walk home from school I was talking to God about what to pray for. In the morning, I had prayed specifically to be a light, to reflect His glory, even at school. And shortly after, I sat in my first class of the day recognizing, almost as if I was looking from outside myself, that I was cranky. So, after a disheartening day I was contemplating how I should approach my attitude, when I remembered the line about asking for wonder. I'm not sure if I had even finished the thought, when I saw the
cutest little boy, no more than 4-years old, flying a kite all by himself in the park that I was walking through. As I walked by admiring Him and admiring God for sending such a small wonder into my day, his kite sank to the ground. Without missing a stride I picked it up and tossed it smoothly back into flight. A man walking toward him thanked me and I answered, "de nada," but what I really meant was "gracias." Gracias a Dios for taking such good care of me.

(The kiddo in the picture is not the kite-flier, but a niño from the church I've been attending. He is raised by his ~12 year-old sister, because his mom is the sole bread-winner for 5 kids. He repeatedly dropped these treats on the ground, but of course picked them up within 5 seconds before putting them back in his mouth.)

*1 Kings 18:27 NLT
Don't worry today my español was back on track.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Okay, I understand the story now! :}

What a great thing to ask for!

Hope your Spanish stays on track, although you probably learn even more when it's not!

love
Mom