Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sorpresa (Surprise)

This week's fiesta: my friend Savannah's surprise birthday celebration. So, maybe we've been averaging one or more parties per week recently, but if you don't move a little slower and party a little more in Latin America, then what are stereotypes really good for...
Savannah is one of the most selfless people I know. So, we decided to make yesterday all about her, by taking her to a park, preparing all her favorite foods, making her wear a ridiculous hat, swing blindfolded at a hilarious piñata, and stand in front of everyone to open embarrassing presents. Wow, it doesn't seem as nice when I read it like that...
The Lord blessed us with a beautiful day (a real Godsend in the midst of the rainy season), awesome company--including her mom in town from Tennessee for the week, and, as always with this crew, a lot of laughs.
Among the many things that make Savannah and my spirits kindred are our loves for running, desserts, Bolivia and Proverb 3:27,
"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're destroying everyone's stereotype of the suffering missionary! Keep it up -

Love
Mom

Emily said...

Ack do I miss all of you. Sorry I suck at keeping in touch. I get sad when I think about how much I miss you so I avoid email. Not that that's a good excuse!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!