Saturday, March 13, 2010

What a Difference a Week Makes

Once the professors concluded their strike at the vet school we were able to set a date for our kick-off lunch/introduction to Vetred. With seven "Interminable" (translation - had to open two doors to get them into the room) pizzas in hand, we headed to the vet school last Wednesday afternoon. And, as is quickly found with interminables, they never really meet up to their name. But they gave a good enough effort to satisfy almost 100 students. Between their first and second slices David, my faithful co-worker with Vetred, and I presented our opportunities for them throughout the semester including our weekly Bible study, trips to the countryside to teach animal healthcare workshops to farmers, monthly spay and neuter clinics in poor areas of town, and bi-weekly English for Veterinarians classes.

This was the first time I'd ever spoken in front of a crowd in Spanish, and I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't hurl rotten tomatoes at me. Either I explained everything clearly enough that they were intrigued by the English course, or I accidentally offered them free pizza every week, because 75 of them signed up for my class! We begin class Monday the 15th, so you can start praying any time, I know I am.
On the same adrenaline soaked day, I also finalized my driver's license, picked up my new business cards, and found a car! Owned by a nun from Spain for the past thirteen years, my new-to-me Toyota Land Cruiser took a bit of getting used to at first. I can honestly say it is the most utilitarian thing I've ever owned, but we're warming up to each other. Over the past twenty-four hours the sterility of the cup-holder-less, radio-less, console-less interior has been overshadowed, not so much by her personality but by her functionality. With seats for ten passengers, a diesel engine and a roof rack, I've already toted a few people around town, and plan to make full use of her people-hauling capabilities tomorrow for our Christian Veterinarians retreat.

I want to say a huge thank you to each of you that support me regularly or irregularly. It has been amazing to be able to complete language school, set-up a house, buy a car, get new tires, etc. all through your generosity. If you've been thinking/praying about giving, I would encourage you that I could use some more regular donors, and some irregular donors to become more regular. But God has provided for me so graciously through so many of you. When I was taking questions after my talk on Wednesday, one of the students asked how much the English course will cost? As I answered that it is free, I smiled a little as I was immediately filled with gratitude for all your selflessness that allows me to be here, to volunteer my time, and to offer these people a gift that is undeserved and unpaid for, just like the grace of God that we have ultimately come to share.

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you." Philippians 1:3

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm on it! (praying, that is). You and your auto are a very cute couple!