Saturday, April 3, 2010

Recruiting

"I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."
-John 10:10















"Everything I have learned about foreign missions, I have learned from your pictures. It looks as though being a foreign missionary means that you get to dress up like a fairy princess and go around to a new city every other week and they throw a party for you, let you pet their dogs and swim in their pools."

I know the friend who said these words was just teasing, as most of you are when you give me a hard time for having more adventures and excitement and peace than someone who's supposed to be suffering for Jesus should be allowed to have. But whether there's a hint of truth underneath your quips or not, I thought it was about time I addressed the excessive amount of fun I often appear to be having in my photos.

Two things:

First, I don't want to document in pictures or blog posts the struggles of being far too far from snow, Wal-Mart, English, family, churches that I love, and almost any of you reading this. I'd much rather share the blessings that I'm surrounded by, and in so doing choose to focus on those things. (Philippians 4:8)

Second, being a missionary's awesome! If you were holding back from committing your life and work totally to serving Christ in some way because of the sacrifices you'd have to make, let me be the first tell you, and show you, how "abundant" the life He has for you can be. Even if there weren't Doble Quince birthday parties, salt flats, sand dunes, and fern forests, there would still be a plethora of neglected kids that soak up love like a sponge, students that want to hear more about Jesus, and opportunities to help some of the poorest of the poor.

So, come join us on the field, where ministry and fun are not mutually exclusive.
Still perfecting my recruiting slogan. But for now, gotta run, there's a baby lizard crawling up my wall, I need to let him out...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, wherever you go, you have a good time, what's the common denominator? ;0 Thanks for choosing to be thankful in all things!

Love
Mom