Monday, March 7, 2011

First Slumber Party, Thousandth Cultural Faux Pas

So Carnaval here is kind of a big deal. The whole city shuts down for four days. It remains questionable whether the whole city needs to shut down or everyone just uses the "bedlam" as an excuse to retreat into their houses for a long weekend of solitude. Our church decreed it too risky to get close to the potential danger, or more accurately shooting paint, and cancelled service for Sunday and prayer group for Monday. As I knew Ange would want nothing but to shoot me with water guns, spray foam, and water balloons all weekend, I thought maybe it'd be a good idea to bring in reinforcements.
So, on our way to small group last Thursday I mentioned to Angie's little friend Carla, that maybe she could come over sometime to play, maybe even a sleepover. When I turned to ask her mom's opinion of the idea, I learned I was once again unintentionally gringofying Bolivia. Turns out not only has almost 9 year-old Carla never spent the night away from her parents, but also that Bolivians don't have slumber parties, well except the "ricos." Ugh, I'd just classified myself with the rich people. But after the great success of Ange and Carla's first pajama party I think this phenomenon's gonna catch on, for better or worse. I'm really not trying to impose North American culture.
Did you ever have trouble at sleepovers? I remember really enjoying them until the morning when I would wake up before 8am, and stare at the ceiling for hours until the other girls finally got up around noon (at least being a morning person is beneficial in almost every other situation.) And I remember that whenever my sister spent the night out she would be randomly and rapidly hit with a stomach bug, and not just in her head or as an excuse, there were real symptoms if you know what I mean.

Angelica and Carla did great overall, but there was a bit of an awkward low point when, during our showing of How to Train Your Dragon, Ange started sobbing UNCONTROLLABLY in fear that they were gonna hurt Toothless. Oh my, the child has a heart for animals just liker her momma, and she's no less compassionate towards the imaginary variety. After previewing the last half hour I was able to assure the girls the next morning that everything was gonna be just fine and we were all able to finish the movie without any more tears. Now it's time to get back to work and school and fighting to the death with the little munchkin to get moving in the morning. But it sure has been a great four days of water, relaxation, spray foam, visiting with friends, more water, cleaning everything we could find, and lots and lots of playing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was a great success! Did Angie teach Carla how to ride a bike?

Now we know that all little Bolivian girls sleep the same way! :=0