Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Here I Am

Angie has her own room with a double bed (a luxury I never had, ironically, until I moved to Bolivia.) But sometimes she just doesn't want to be that far away from me. Last Wednesday, after I got back from my overnight trip to the Beni she begged and begged to sleep in my bed. The problem is, as you may recall from former posts, she's a serious wiggle worm in the middle of the night. Flailing about, using me as her dream soccer ball, talking sometimes. So, in attempts to not set any school night precedents about sharing a bed, I stuck to my "no."

But Sunday night I woke up in the middle of the night to find her lying next to me. In the morning I asked her why she'd come into my room and she said she'd heard something scary and jumped up and come to me, but I didn't hear her when she said "mommy" so she just lay down and thought, "she won't notice." It was the first time she'd ever come to me scared in the middle of the night, so it was pretty cute and I didn't think anymore of it, except maybe to dwell a bit on what a bum I was to sleep through her needing me.

However, last night at about 1:30am I found her in my bed again, this time not as still and peaceful. I hope she got a good night's sleep cause she woke me up at least every hour until my 5:40 alarm for my run (she blames this on the mosquitoes.)

At breakfast once again, I brought it up.

"So, why'd you come sleep with me again last night?"

"Weren't you calling me?" she replied.

"Huh?"

"Didn't you say 'Angelica, come here,'?"

"No. Wait a minute, did you read ahead to April 19th last night?" Ange and I read a day in the Spanish Bible in a Year for Kiddos every night. And she's recently been so into it that she stays up with her book light from Grandma and reads the next day's passage. Which is exactly what she did last night.

Any guesses what the story for April 19th is???

I'm inclined to think she fell asleep thinking about the story and dreamed about it, but just in case I think I'll teach her to respond to the Lord, "Speak, your servant is listening." And maybe I'll try to quit being so negligent in the middle of the night.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Never a dull moment in your household! :-0 So funny about the dream. She is one surprising kid.