Thursday, June 16, 2011

Feliz Cumpleaños mi Angel

Yesterday, was somebody's first birthday, and it was kind of a huge deal. In my opinion, most first birthday celebrations are a bit controversial, the cumplañero, as we call them here, is 1 or 2 years old and debatably too young to understand or really appreciate what all the fuss is about. But not this munchkin who's been watching the rest of the world celebrate for 9 years as each one passed her by unnoticed.
In a country where, I've learned first hand, you may be scolded if you don't want to make a big deal out of your special day because how could you not be grateful for the blessing of another year of life, she's finally getting her overdue fuss. And oh has it been fun to spoil her. I´m not generally one to say "but it´s my birthday..." but yesterday I found myself saying, "it´s your birthday, of course!" about pretty much everything she wanted.

We started the festivities Tuesday by dawning our aprons and baking 34 strawberry cupcakes and using our new standing mixer (thanks Mom) to adorn them with some buttercream icing. Nothing but the best for a bunch of rowdy 2nd graders who don´t know the difference between a cupcake and a muffin anyway. Then, thank goodness, we had a little frosting leftover for the chocolate chip pancake birthday breakfast where I let the overly eager (woke me up at 4:30am) birthday girl open 3 little presents.

After school we had her favorite chicken and rice dinner, opened lots more presents, and downed a few more cupcakes. I think she could get used to this, and I'm not complaining about the cupcakes either. The festivities aren't over yet, Saturday we're gonna have a bowling party for her little friends with a very appropriate Angelina Ballerina theme.

In the meantime, I made a quick day trip to La Paz for a little interview at the US Embassy today. Visa Approved!! July 8th - Angie meets the U.S.A!!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a wonderful first birthday! She'll always remember it. Can't wait to spoil her a little more in KY!