Sunday, September 11, 2011

Roommates

I'll admit I've not always been my car's #1 fan. It's probably safe to say that most men are bigger fans of my gigantic, rugged, hardy old Landcruiser than I am. But she's grown on me over the year and a half we've been together toting countless people to countless places. And just this week I was thinking about how well she fits with the verse I try to live by, Proverbs 3:27, "Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due when it is in your power to do it." With a car that supposedly seats 10, but actually seats somewhere around 20, in a country where seat belts are a thing of the past, or maybe the future, I can't remember the last time when we (the Landcruiser and I) have had to turn anyone away for a ride because there wasn't room. This weekend alone she transported 9 people and a dog to our vet student project at Cristo Viene, 15 people home from church, and 9 people and that same silly dog to the sand dunes.
One thing that I'm coming to understand about that verse is that it doesn't work quite the same now that I'm a mother. Whereas, before it basically meant rarely saying "no" to anyone with a request, now I have to weigh the benefit to the person in need over the potential burden it adds to Ange. I've yet to perfect this saying "no" concept, so I often add undue stress to Angie's schedule, but I'm working on it. So, you can likely guess what the outcome was when two of our dear friends from church found themselves between housing for a month or two (a situation we can empathize well with from as recently as April), while their next place is being built; two new roommates of course!

Rosenda and Silda, two sweet sisters from a family of ten kids, moved in with us about a week ago. So far we couldn't have asked for easier tenants. Silda works at Talita Cumi and was one of Angie's beloved tias (aunties) when she lived there. I'm sure Angie also doesn't mind that they're our first house guests whose mother tongue is Spanish. And if I can ever remember what adults do when their little ones aren't around, we'll be ready with a couple of live-in babysitters.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

So glad the new roomies are working out! Hope they lighten the load a bit. You're a good example to the munchkin about serving people, she is learning about flexibility too!