Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dangly Earrings

When do you let your kids grow up? More specifically, when do you let your beautiful little girls start looking like gorgeous young women? Okay, what I really need to know is at what age do you let your daughters start wearing dangly earrings? If it were up to me of course, she'd still have the unpunctured ears God gave her, but she came to me pierced, and begging for earrings. So after 6 months I gave in and bought her some little stars for her birthday. But one pair of earrings only keeps one content for so long. So today at Cristo Viene Girls' Home's anniversary fair she just had to have some new ones, the problem was there wasn't a single pair of little studs, and dangly earrings just make her look all fancy and grown up, and I don't like it! But it was for a good cause, and everyone else gets their kids' ears pierced at 3 months old, so I caved.
I don't really identify with the moms who feel like time is flying by and it seems like just yesterday they were looking into their now toddler's little face for the first time. Ange and I have been together for nine months and it feels like about nine months. And I'm not too worried about her moving up into 3rd grade or having to buy her new used clothes like this skort we just got her on Thursday. I think what I am worried about is boys, and back-talking, and popularity, and vanity, and did I mention boys.

This week we were at a restaurant with a TV blaring music videos. Which interested Angie very much and made me very glad we don't have television and very empathetic toward my parents who didn't let us watch MTV growing up. After Beyonce's third nearly-naked video Angie asked, "Isn't she embarrassed to walk around like that?" Lord, please don't let her lose that modesty, please.

During her week of quarantine, other than replacing the clothes she's been outgrowing, she also learned a lot of English. We have two more months to practice before her English entrance exam into SCCLC, the English speaking missionary kid school, for next semester. So pray that we can keep improving as much as we did this week even though she starts class again tomorrow. As my director says, we don't want to let school get in the way of her education.

2 comments:

Emily said...

"...Ange and I have been together for nine months and it feels like about nine months."

That made me laugh. :-)

remembering you often in prayer, love!!

Lisa said...

It doesn't always feel like it's going fast when you're in the thick of it. It will later, looking back. Hang in there, you're what she needs to help her grow into a godly young woman!