Monday, March 19, 2012

March Madness Praise Report

No, this answer to prayer doesn't have to do with mine, or Jon's team, advancing in the NCAA tournament, however, if the two meet in the Final Four in a couple weeks, we may be requesting some prayer for our relationship. No, this is a little more personal basketball story.

I was never a particularly loud ballet mother (do they exist?), but even recovering from laryngitis, it turns out I'm one of those very loud basketball moms.

A couple weeks ago, I asked Angie if she would like to go watch some guys from our church play in one of her high school's basketball games. She said, "Do I get to play?" After running through the reasons why not, such as she's not on the team, she hasn't tried out, she's not in high school etc. she decided there was no point in going to the game if it was just to watch. A bit dejected, I dropped it.

But last Friday, one of my good friends was coaching the high school's track meet in the city's big stadium. We were on the way to the movies with Angie's friend for her birthday with a little extra time so I surprised the girls by stopping at the track meet, it was both of their first time in the "huge" stadium. They loved it! And so did I, to the point of thinking I might like to coach something myself. That same day Angie got picked from the third grade girls to play in a friendly game of basketball against the 3-5th graders at another school in town, based on her performance in gym class basketball.

In the midst of all this sporting activity I'd been praying for a way Angie and I could really enjoy each other. In light of the basketball invitation I suggested we go practice Saturday and Sunday at the court down the street with the ball we gave her for Christmas. Just before we made it out to the park on Saturday she'd been driving me particularly crazy and I was begging God for some help. Minutes later, He gave us the relief we'd been looking for.

She's really good at ballet. But I'm not. I'm not good at fixing her hair right, or buying her new clothes every time she looses them or rips them, or helping her with her sous sus. But I can help her with her bank shot, impress the socks off her by dribbling between my legs, and randomly swish a three when she says there's no way! I can be her hero for a minute, and we can relate as friends.

Today, was the big game against the Santa Cruz Cooperative School. It lasted about 20 minutes and we didn't quite pull out the W, but Angie and I now share a love for the sport!

Angie's the one in the pink sleeves and the red scrunchie below; praying before the game, tipping off, and shooting.
Thursday, we're going to watch one of those high school games I mentioned a couple weeks ago. :)

As today is Father's Day here in Bolivia, I thought this was also appropriately timed by God, since I'm pretty sure both her grandfather, and her future father can get into basketball a little more than ballet. Get ready, we'll take you two-on-two here in a couple months guys!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great answer to prayer, so glad Angie's enjoying basketball. Her abuelo can't wait for some two on two, but he wants her on his team, not yours! ;0