Monday, July 30, 2012

Surreality turns Reality

People love to blog about their weddings, why doesn't anyone ever blog about their honeymoon?  Don't answer that...
Jon and I spent last week in Colorado hiking, white water rafting, gaining weight, and enjoying peace. It was the most relaxing week I've ever had. Let's be honest, it was probably the first time I've ever really relaxed. Even on normal vacations you can't just sleep whenever you want, turn off your phone and computer, and forget about the rest of the world. 

It was an incredible time of learning to be married, in a bubble made for two, free of conflict, free of stress, and minus the usual semi-constant barrage of "Mommy!" When he praised me once for my patience with navigating when he asked me for the same direction more than once, I realized how unnatural our honeymoon-sphere was, and hoped we were setting patterns for how we'll communicate in the future when normalcy returns.  It was so nice to simplify for a moment and let the world revolve around just the two of us. In the simplicity we were really really good. I pray that now as complexity and confusion take over, we'll have laid the groundwork for a team that treats each other really really well.
I had about one month to get used to the idea of being a mom before my fairly large bundle of joy was placed in my lap a couple years ago. But somehow it felt much less strange to be a parent even after that short adjustment period than it does to be a wife after seven months of engagement to prepare me. Nothing has ever felt so surreal as being married. For how long will we randomly look at each other and say with shock and a smile, "We're married!"?



Last night, my amazing parents brought Angie back from her week at the beach, and we began our lives as a family of three. Angie woke up a ball of nervous excitement in her new bed, we sent Daddy off to work for his first day back, and I sat down to the computer to try to get caught up and back into the swing of things.  Reality is setting in as we are settling down. But, thus far, it seems a sweet sweet reality.


 "Delight yourselves in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." -Psalm 37:4

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I'm glad you had a relaxing honeymoon. We've been married almost two years and I still occasionally think "I can't believe this guy is mine - for the rest of my life!" :-) It takes a while to get used to the "this is my husband/wife" phrase though. I'm so happy for you two (three).

Lisa said...

So glad you had a peaceful time and learned how to relax! ;0 The whole thing seems pretty surreal to me too, but in a good way!

Israel Holby said...

It's great to see you two so happy together.