Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Second Last Everything (But Not Penultimate)

This week we're packing up, moving out, visiting with everyone, and saying goodbye for the last time, again. I taught my final English classes, we were prayed for by our church, I finished up my training surgeries, tonight we meet with our young couples' home group one last time, and Friday we conclude our university Alpha Course series. Six months ago, we wrapped up everything here in Bolivia, and as God would have it, here we are doing it all for the second last time.
So many people and places are dear to us, it's impossible to say which will be most difficult to let go of. We will continue to treasure the Baby Home where Jon's been volunteering his handiness and we've been sponsoring a new little one also named Johnny Charles (above in Angie's arms). We'll keep praying for each of those precious little ones. If you're also interested in sponsoring one of their seven sweethearts, please let me know.
My vet school students and colleagues will be dearly missed. My role with them has changed this semester, as I've added "wife" to the list of hats I wear, but our friendship hasn't suffered. I love these girls and am so excited to see them moving toward Jesus as He runs toward them.
Angie's struggling with all the change. You've probably noticed the lack of posts about her and pictures of her gorgeous smile here and on Facebook. Please pray with us that she'll enjoy the cooler weather of winter in the States, have fun with her dog, grandparents and cousins, and make friends soon in her new school.  She so needs love and stability, and God's only allowed us to give her one of those two key ingredients this past year.

 Jon left Bolivia last Saturday, to get back to work and get everything ready for our return, except the tree, he's not allowed to decorate for Christmas without us!  Pray for his transition back into work, and re-entry culture shock as he decompresses from his three-month stent with us in South America.

People often ask if we're excited to be heading back. I don't really know. I am so looking forward to cold, snow, family, U.S. friends, Ruby, and my new job as CVM's Southeastern regional rep. But to say we're "excited" seems to imply some discontent here, and even with the constant sweating, I'd say we're pretty well content right where we are. Not a bad place to be really, happy where you are, and happy with where you're going. God's been so good to us.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Praying for your safe trip home and peace for Angie. She will eventually accept her new life and thank you for it someday!

Israel Holby said...

I am already missing you guys (all three of you actually).