Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Letter to the Birhday Boy (Part 2)

Dearest Isaiah, Little Buddy, Silly Goose, Isaías, Zy,
I don't know how you'll ever learn your name with so many to choose from...

In Part 1 of your Birthday Letter I shared some things you don't particularly love such as crawling, bottles, and being far from Momma. I don't like being far from you either Buddy and here are 10 reasons why I love you so much I could burst:

10. You've never been a fragile little thing. I'm sure a petite delicate baby would be just as loveable, but as I'm a tad clumsy and a bit careless, I appreciate that you're a sturdy little dude, weighing in at 23lbs 10oz (83rd%) and 30.5 inches tall (76th%) at your one-year checkup.

9. In some ways you're super easy. You travel like a champ, having visited 13 states, many on multiple occasions, and two countries in your first year. You never wanted to be fed baby food, which was frustrating at first, but then we realized how much simpler meals are just putting scraps of everything on your tray and letting you eat with us; steak, mushrooms, veggies, you name it. Beans, cheese, and berries are some of your current favorites. What's next, hot wings and a beer?

8. Your curiosity is inspiring. As you explore the great big world around you, I too see things I haven't paid attention to in a long time; the way the sunlight dances between the leaves of a tree, the way the wind blows through your outstretched fingers on a walk. I can't wait to examine everything outside with you this spring, I'll probably pass on eating all the bugs with you though, (I've already extracted the first ladybug from your mouth.)

7. You're resourceful just like your daddy. It's possible all babies are learning this quickly, but when you figured out how to work the water fountain at the airport, or how to flush the toilet at home, I envisioned you 25 years from now as an engineer or an inventor. With the size of your head, we're hopeful you'll cure cancer.

6. You also take after me a bit. When Daddy and Sissy seemed so different that it drove me nuts sometimes, I prayed you would be a little more like me. Not only do you promise to have my dimples, and you already charm us with my classic one eyebrow raise, you also seem to be a morning person. It will be lovely not to have to drag you out of bed every day.

5. You're SO funny. I don't think I ever would have believed it if someone told me that we'd all prefer staring at you over screens, especially Angie. But now we just sit around the table long after we've finished eating and laugh at you making a mess, babbling about who knows what, mimicking us, feeding the dog, and cracking yourself up. You bring so much joy into our home and our family.

4. Solving the little puzzle that is you, makes me feel special for knowing you better than anyone and having the keys to your heart. You should have come with a manual that said "When he's fussy on long car trips, sing him The Wheels on the Bus, but every part of the bus must go Vroom, Vroom, Vroom no matter how ridiculous or redundant that sounds." But you didn't, so these are the quirks we discover when learning the unique mini-person God made for us, for Him.

3. You're oh so soft. You're irresistibly kissable and squeezable, and you enjoy being smooched and hugged about as much as we enjoy nuzzling you. I need to go Beso your Face-o right now! (You're going to have some stellar Spanglish!

2. Your softness soften us all. I pray the rough spots you've melted away on me, never harden again. You're generous, silly, sweet, and gentle; all the things that I'm not naturally. Well all except maybe patient, we'll have to work on that one together.

1. "We love, because He first loved us," -1 John 4:10. You teach me about God. My instinctive unconditional love for you now, reminds me of the love the Lord lavishes on us so undeservedly. I'll never love you like He does, but thank you for helping me love more like Christ. As you start to tell me "No", and throw food to the dog as I'm telling you not to, or disobey me much more flagrantly than that, my love will become even more altruistic. For now your cuddles and smiles more than compensate for the lost sleep, the loads of laundry, and the horrors of childbirth.

My dearest Isaiah, thank you for making the world a better and brighter place. All my love to you, forever and ever.
How could I not love you covered in frosting!!

"What? I thought the newspapers and the acorns would look nice on the floor."

Angie can't wait till your able to get around on her own and help her pester me, so she's helping you walk every chance she gets.

Tearing up the hardwoods; either inspecting Daddy's work for flaws, or looking for ways to improve on it.
Even when you damage the only nice new piece of furniture in the house, we love you.

"Momma, did you want me to take this bumper off the hearth so Daddy can feel useful putting it back on?"
How could we not laugh more with you in our lives?!
We tried to encourage a transitional object, Lovey, that was soft and cuddly, but you prefer your security toothbrush.
Mi Amor, always be you, God thinks He made you just perfect, and we agree.

No comments: