Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Out of the Mouths of Toddlers

The other day, Isaiah mentioned Potatoes in conversation, and I thought, "Oh no!" You other moms may not weep when your kids stop calling Fish "Foosh" or Because "Patuz," but when Isaiah properly pronounced Potatoes instead of using his long-held word invention - Pomatoes, I knew it was the end of an era. Or at least the beginning of the end. When your baby no longer mutates Potatoes and Tomatoes into one vegetable, with brown and red varieties, you know you're heading for a new life phase which I'm sure will be fun in other ways, and obviously more intelligible, but it can't possibly be as cute.

So, before any other adorable antics fade from their repertoire, or slip from my memory, I thought I better jot a few of the best ones down.
How happy he was when he finally got his shirt over his huge noggin.
Isaiah pronounces most words and sounds well now, except the ever-challenging double or triple consonants. It's always a guessing game whether we're talking about trains or cranes. Some of his favorite adjectives currently are Super and Refreshing, and if something is chilly or wet, it may very well be "Super Refreshing!" Which, in all honesty, is a nice positive spin on getting cold or damp, so I can't complain.
When I brought this shirt home, he exclaimed, "Isaiah-Dozer!"
He started talking about when he's a teenager the other day, and he got a bit carried away with his plans. When he's a teenager, he'll be able to drive like Sissy. Sure. But also, when he's a teenager he'll be able to read. Hope so. When he's a teenager, he'll stop sucking his thumb. Uh... When he's a teenager, he'll be a grandfather. Wait, what?!

My current favorite though is WhoOne. It's doubtful he's the first child ever to create this word combination, but I've surely never heard it before. It took us awhile to figure out why he was always saying WhoOne instead of Who, until one day my mom explained it and suddenly it made perfect sense. There's Someone, Anyone, Everyone, No One, Which One, of course there should also be Who One!!

And to conclude Isaiah's heart-melting list of 3 year-old-isms, he now prays for the Paw Patrol characters by name at meals, every one, at every meal. So, if you were ever to ask me Who One in reference to Paw Patrol, I could now tell you who.

Not to be outdone by his brother, Paul will probably start talking when he's a teenager. But for now, he gives the best kisses. Look out though, if you ask for a Beso (kiss), he'll come at you with his tongue out and go straight for your mouth.

The other day at a hotel, he went with me to the lobby to grab some breakfast, which I had planned to take back to the room to eat with Isaiah, but Paul had decided he wanted the high chair. So, we compromised and he pushed the high chair all the way to our room at the other end of the hall!
Some of his adorable moves are already fading. At the top of slides he'll hold up two fingers and say "Uno, Dos," and then slide!

When he falls down now, he may cry out for a second, but he recovers quickly and stands back up, then he holds out whichever part of him got a booboo so that you can kiss it and make it feel better. Just FYI, if you're ever with him and he holds the palm of his hand or his knee to you and grunts, you're supposed to kiss it.

I wish the blog would let me post videos of his awesome dance moves, or how he holds up two fingers to say "Shhhh," but for now you'll just have to imagine how precious he is, or come over for a visit and some besos.
What, do I have something on my face?
Getting drenched in your clothes is the Best!
It's Super Refreshing!

And after you drench your clothes...

The crew!

No comments: