Monday, July 13, 2009

Rocky Mountain High

Running into a llama on a hike and throwing snowballs in July helped me justify this week's family vacation to Colorado as preparation for Bolivia, where camelids are prevalent and the seasons are reversed.

(At least as long as I ignore the reality that I'll be working in the opposite side of the country from the mountains, snow, and alpacas.




There will be sand dunes in my region of Bolivia however, so surmounting the nearly insurmountable largest sand dunes in North America should count as valid training.


Nonetheless, the real significance of the trip had little to do with the future, and everything to do with optimizing the present.
I can think of no more perfect place than the Rockies to enjoy the company of my maternal family, suspending the inevitable fact that they will continue to grow and change in my absence for quite awhile now. I trust that God has great plans for each of them, but if it were up to me they would all remain exactly as adorable, dramatic, entertaining, generous, hilarious, talented and unique as they are right now... I love you guys!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I promise not to get any less entertaining while you're gone!

Love,
Mom