Saturday, February 6, 2010

Angelito

Among the many fabulous and encouraging responses I've had to last week's admission of feeling on the less useful side recently, was one sentiment that I did not expect, but found some relief in:

"It's not just your selfish desire that wants to be useful. God created us to do good works...His works. It's what we were born to do..." Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."

This relieved me of the guilt I might have felt upon finding a new way to serve this week when I'd just started learning that maybe God wanted me to be still and a little broken. But I'll try not to forget that lesson even as life starts to get busier.

Freddy (also known as Angelito) is a 1-year-old, adorable Bolivian in foster care with a family I'd never met, till Tuesday when I became a regular in their house, as a sporadic nanny. His foster mom just headed to the US for a couple months leaving dad behind with two teenage kids, a job, a house, and a baby that's missing his mommy enough to stop sleeping through the night.
Even when he wakes up in the middle of the night he's cute though. Considering what a confusing year of transitions between families and homes, even languages, it's a miracle that he is possibly the most freely affectionate, and one of the most well socialized little guys I've ever met.
On the downside, he'll just be one more amigo (or in his case-amigito) to say goodbye to in two weeks when I pick up and move again. He is adoptable though, hmm...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Awww, how could you resist that sweet little guy. I've got an idea...adopt him, move back to MD and Freddy and Q could be life long buddies! :)

Unknown said...

He is a cutie! I'm glad that you have something to do with yourself again and glad that you don't have to feel guilty about it!