Sunday, February 21, 2010

Compañeras

Today, I moved to hot and sticky Santa Cruz, leaving behind refreshingly dry and comfortable Cochabamba. But as easy as it is, I did not intend to write about Cochabamba's nearly perfect climate, but instead to rave about its nearly perfect people. I've told you lots about my language school friends and fellow troublemakers, but I have yet to give due praise to my Bolivian family, the gracious Chicas that took me in and cared for me far better than I would have cared for myself, Maite and Teresa.

If you've had the pleasure of living with me, you know I may not be the world's easiest roommate or houseguest, but these two never ceased to shower me with love, clean laundry, lessons (in Spanish, sewing, and cooking), company, and yummy, healthy, Bolivian fooooood! I'm gonna miss that sonso, and I'm going to miss my amigitas.

Yesterday, was a beautiful conclusion to six months of friendships, ideas, and culture. I woke up with in the same room as my favorite little man; one-year old Angelito, ran around my favorite Cochabamba running site; the laguna, played some wallyball, was pummeled with water balloons and foam at the finale of Carnaval, had a fabulous visit to the home of my friends the Vargas, shared a lovely dinner/photo-op with these delightful ladies, and finally was sent off with prayer at the bus terminal.

Tomorrow, I'll start a new phase of ministry, post-language school, but today, I'm allowing myself to dwell on the sublime last six months, and how God provided far beyond I expected, but why am I still surprised by that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I bet Maite and Teresa are missing you lots! What a blessing for all of you to live together -

Love
Mom