Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mi Amor

Watching her sleep... I vaguely remember this is what it was like to be in love.

For seven years I had two precious, practically perfect cats. Then for two years I lived blissfully pet-hair-free. Now, I'm not sure that I was living at all.


I could tell you all those clichéd things about how ecstatic she is to greet me at the door, how she always adores me even when I've scolded her or left her for a long day at work, how her companionship is unwavering, her loyalty is unfaltering, and her love is unconditional, but you probably already know all of that because you probably have your own furry friend. Everyone who's read "Old Yeller", seen "Marley and Me", or watched the puppy on the Scott toilet paper commercials can imagine just how adorable and irresistible she can be.


But did you already know that it makes me smile just to see her smile. That I'm trying to be strong and prohibit her from the furniture, but sometimes that means I'm tempted to sleep on the footstool where she is allowed, just to cuddle with her. That she already has endearing nicknames based on my favorite runner, favorite Rancid song, and favorite Bolivian fish. And that if it weren't for Ruby I'm not sure it'd be nearly as impossible to be lonely around here in this post-visitor lull/pre-return of my dear friend, kindred spirit, and running partner, Heather.


As I tell you about her she's using my knee as a pillow. Someone please remind me that she's just a foster...


Because when I'm feeling insignificant, I can look at how contentedly she basks in others' affection, without any misconception that she has to be changing the world to earn it. She's teaching me about God's love.

"If two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?"

-Ecclesiastes 4:11

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I can completely relate. My cats keep my sane when loneliness threatens to bring me down. And even when I do get down, they can make me smile every time. Pets are a great gift from God. I am glad you have Ruby.

Nancy said...

I LOVE this post.It seems he always knows what to do and when to give affection. Once I had the stomach flu and was nauseated, and he threw up too right as I did! I believe to this day that was his empathy towards his 'mommy' haha!

Not only that but I think it's Biblical too, to care for animals and love them.I can't imagine living life without an animal around.