Monday, July 12, 2010

Have I mentioned that I'm really tall here?

Last week, World Concern had their 11th annual planning retreat where I learned, among other things, that I'm a giant.
Which one of these is not like the others?

For three days, we departed from the distractions of the city, other than a couple necessary World Cup games, to a quiet little town called Samaipata. Between the five wonderful meals/snacks we were fed daily, the FIFA semi-finals, and our own volleyball championship, we tried to get some work done. The goal of the retreat was to spend time together as a team planning our objectives and activities for the next year. But even more fruitful for me were the times of devotionals centered on prayer. Through moments of reflection in Samaipata, and the church I've decided on in Santa Cruz, I've finally been recognizing the Lord's unfathomable love as clearly in Spanish as I was a year ago at home in English.

One story that resonated with me was that of Hannah, in 1 Samuel 1. I often focus on the sides of prayer where we adore God, share our thoughts with Him, listen for His reply, receive His peace, and surrender our agendas to His will. At the same time, I think I saw pleading with God as doubting His sovereignty, a bit selfish, or at least a sure sign of discontent with the lot He has given you. But somehow the story of Hannah begging God for a child, probably for years, flies in the face of all those notions. From the provision of Hannah's son, who turns out to be one of the Bible's most famous servants, God seems to be approving this type of appeal. Maybe one doesn't have to be self-centered or dissatisfied to seek God for the same thing over and over. Maybe it's okay to ask for more worldly things than just more of Him. Maybe I'll start dreaming big...

"I was pouring out my soul to the Lord." -1 Samuel 1:15
She named him Samuel, saying, "Because I asked the Lord for him." -1 Samuel 1:20

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, if you want something, maybe it's because God has given you that desire, so it's okay to pray for it. And if it's not from Him, He'll probably let you know. Glad you had a good retreat!

Nancy said...

haha! It never hurts to stand out a little anyway…