Saturday, August 28, 2010

Year In Review

One year ago this morning I started my stay in Bolivia with a fabulous breakfast at the house of the Janeckes, which was completely fitting as they have been no less hospitable, loving, indispensable and irreplaceable every day since. Heather was also along for the airport run. And as I now know her schedule nearly as well as I my own, I know she probably dropped many other things to be a part of my welcoming crew, which makes sense because she so regularly puts others above herself that I’m not sure anyone, including her, can tell where her desires stop and others’ begin.


When I arrived in Cochabamba for language school, I was this time greeted by a stranger, but a woman who would quickly become a dear dear friend, roommate, and resource in my adjustment to a new place and a new language, Maite. Although I did not live with the other two teachers at the school, I spent nearly as much time with Angelica in church and her home and classes, learning so much more from her than just Spanish. And Mauge became, and remains, a mentor, a cultural guru, mother, confidant, and lovely friend in and out of the classroom.


The Wolheters were a recommended surrogate family when I was unaware that I needed one, but to be polite met them, and then to be a good steward of a precious resource, spent as much time with them as possible, hanging on Jenny’s every word, sampling every available flavor of James' homemade ice cream, and quickly accepting every opportunity to be with their boys.


My friendship with Savannah was basically pushed upon us by others, as neither of us felt lacking more gringa friends, but God was merciful in His wisdom to not allow us our own desires, and instead flooded us with so many runs, sleepovers, inside jokes, practical jokes, and laughs until my sides ached that I can’t imagine my time in Coch without her. With Mateo however, the other third of our troublesome trio, it was instantly clear to me that we would be nearly inseparable, as the first time I ever saw him he was walking out of a Spanish class wearing a University of Louisville t-shirt that he’d bought in Northern Ireland! His joy, enthusiasm, and hilarity were contagious and the number of really really good times far outweigh the times I wanted to strangle him and Savannah.


Once back in Santa Cruz, Bill, Heidi and Heather resumed their roles in keeping me sane and fed, while the staff of World Concern became integral in keeping me legal, funded, organized, and loved. David was especially altruistic by acclimating me to university procedures, policies, places, and people. I have such an awesome work environment!


If you followed my painstakingly long and rigorous church hunt, you can imagine what a blessing the Hoffmans have been to me through La Viña. As usual I underestimated God's wisdom and generosity in His choice for my church home, and I hope never to take for granted the friendship I have with its leaders Paul and Kristin and the numerous ways God's teaching me to take church out of the box through this little Vineyard variety.


In my barrio here I have some wonderful neighbors that have made all the difference in settling in. Adreana is always up for a much needed social evening in English, and never fails to offer what she has to share whether it be food, speakers, blenders, games, or the Cristo Viene niñas. And I always look forward to the rare, but treasured times I get to hangout with Misty, and on even more special occasions, her son Ciprian.


On campus at the university, Paola and Gloria were the first ones to make me feel so comfortable in Spanish that we were quickly able to share laughter, tears, and real emotions over the language barrier that was only surpassable through their grace with my shortcomings. My chicas Jifta and Charlene may be the only ones that truly find me entertaining in Spanish, without actually laughing at my Spanish, and to be found amusing is one of the greatest gifts I can think of.


I've been SO blessed to have so many fabulous co-workers, mentors, friends, neighbors, and little reminders of God's love for me every day! For more of the first year summary check out my Facebook album of corresponding pictures, or keep your eyes out for my next prayer letter with lots of other details. Thank you to everyone who made this year such a joy and a success.


"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory..."

-Ephesians 3:20-21 (NLT)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome post once again. Your description of Heather sounds a lot like someone else I know! :0 What a wonderful year God has blessed you with, I'm sure He's got more blessings to come.

Love
Mom