Sunday, September 5, 2010

Surpassing Value

"Rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn." Granted, Romans 12:15 is much easier said than done, but in my opinion so worth the effort. In a world where Facebook regularly shares news of weddings and babies so fast that it often seems to beat the news of the prerequisite engagements or pregnancies to my homepage. Leaving me so dumbstruck that I don't have time to remind myself that those who compare themselves with themselves are not wise.

A couple months into the year I spent in Baltimore before making the move "South" I hosted a team of ladies in my apartment to help Mosaic prepare to launch. They were an out-of-state team from a church I didn't know, so we spent some time sharing our different stories. I imagine the conversation was fairly ordinary, what do you do? where'd you grow up? how many kids do you have?; the get-to-know-each-other classics. But the part that stands out to me was a moment late one night when I shared my history of college, vet school, working in private practice, and then moving to Baltimore for the church plant before heading off to missions. One of the women replied, "Wow, you've done all that? but you're so young!" Which was followed by a mother of my same age with three kids responding, "Yeah, but I wouldn't give up my family for any of that." I never for a moment thought she meant any harm, but nonetheless it was hard not to consider; is that what I've done, given that up?
Today, as someone very important to me in the past got married, it was impossible not to reconsider the same question. Did I give that up? Did I choose this instead? Was it worth the cost? But as I'm dwelling on in Philippians 3, "I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." And as I spent a perfect evening with the Cristo Viene girls worshipping that Lord, I recognized a glimpse of the surpassing value of knowing Him. I have yet to receive the peace which surpasses all understanding, but I have confidence it exists and I trust it will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

'And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life.'

You're doing great things and filling great needs! Thanks for being available to whatever God wants you to do.

Dr. Denise and Roy said...

Good thoughts, Lauren. I've had to deal with the same thing. I know that for me in following God's leading that I have chosen God's very best for me. I don't want anything other than HIS best for me. I don't want to settle for His second best. Keep following Him and whether you are married or single it will be the very best for you.

Emily said...

Love you so much.

Emily said...

Is that Angelica you're holding in the last pic?

love you.