Monday, February 7, 2011

Second Grade Watch Out!

The cutest plaid-skirted 8-year-old just hit the doors of St. Thomas Aquinas, and it'll never be the same again.
Today, was Ange's first day of second grade, first day at a new school where she knew not a single soul, and first day for me as a soccer-mom (no soccer involved, but a lot of dropping off, and picking up in a large SUV.) A bit of anxiety, as to be expected, was had all around.
The little nervous one, did great, nothing to worry about. She made friends, had fun, surely impressed everyone with her gorgeous smile. I, on the other hand, struggled. No, I didn't cry when I dropped her off, or call the school throughout the day to check on her, but I did fail to understand really how this whole school thing works. When I got there to pick her up she told me she'd come out to look for me a lot. Turns out, the other parents came to eat lunch with their kids, or at least sent them with lunch money, I was totally convinced this was covered in her tuition, and had no idea eating lunch with them was an option. Let's not even get started about snacks for recess or covering the books. Seriously, a parent orientation of some sort would have been nice.
But all in all, her teachers are sweet, I think I've convinced them I have no idea what I'm doing and, with luck, they'll start treating me as such. And hopefully Angie's reputation won't be blemished by having the palest, most confused, worst Spanish-speaking mom in the class. Maybe I'll send her with some cupcakes to redeem myself...

I know she had a full day because, for the first time, I carried my sleeping little Angel in from the car tonight after prayer group. Love being a mommy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just hang in there, you'll figure this school thing out! ;-0 Glad it went well in spite of everything.