Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sweetest Sounds in the World

You may have your own ideas of what the world's most wonderful sounds are, but chances are you're wrong, unless you've included in your top three - Angelica's laugh. It's completely amazing, infectious, and irresistible. It's my kryptonite, and I have no idea how to be stern with her when she giggles. Today marks one month together for Angie and me! So maybe the honeymoon ended at about day 12, and she now says "no" sometimes, but that doesn't mean we're having any less fun.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, the start of her classes has been delayed by a week. So, Ange and I have had even more uninterrupted bonding time. We've been together 24/7 since January 3rd, until Tuesday when I left her to go play with the kiddos of Cristo Viene girls home while I spent the day at the office. Who knew I was gonna be just as sentimental as every other mom on the planet? I, for one, did not. She held it together well as I dropped her off with Adreana, my friend and volunteer for CV, I may have been a bit clingy, but there were no tears, and I only called once to check on her.

So you're surely dying to hear what the other greatest sounds in the world are. You may remember I've been a bit hesitant about teaching her English, and when she whines "Pleeeeeease," it doesn't really endear me to her more. However, second best sound in the world is probably her precious little voice saying "I love you," and my goodness are her spontaneous hugs awesome.

At Talita Cumi, the orphanage where we met, the volunteers are referred to by the children as aunts and uncles (in Spanish tias and tios). Some of you know, that's what she's continued to call me automatically, and I've heard this is not an uncommon problem with kids that get adopted by volunteers. I didn't want to correct her, because up until a year ago she had a mom and a dad, and I was hoping for a natural transition. So I waited. On Sunday in church, she made me the cutest little glittery card, with the worst spelling, but with the words mamá and mami. She then wrote a note on my arm testing out the words further. This week she's been referring to me as mama when she talks to my parents via Skype or to God in prayer. She also kicked me out of my room to decorate the walls with these little hearts she had made that say, “Mamá, te quiero mucho mami, eres mi mami,” in English "Mom, I love you very much, you're my mommy."* And this morning, she did it! Almost as naturally as she used to call me "tia," she said "Mami." Sweetest sound in the world and best anniversary present ever!!!

*The yellow post-its on the wall say "wall" and "bedroom", we're practicing our English.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome anniversary gift! I thought she was saying Mami the other day on the phone but I didn't know that was a new thing. You've got a sweet kiddo there!

Caris said...

Aw, precious! Still in awe of your story... :)