Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mamá

Happy Mother’s Day to all you extremely hard working, self-sacrficing, compassionate, gentle, loving mommas out there, and especially to mine; by far the best mother, role model, friend, and now grandmother ever.


Since coming through the obligatory adolescent years of wholly undervaluing one’s parents I don’t feel that I’ve lacked much in the area of appreciating my momma for the awesome person and mother that she is. But since I’ve become a mother I’ve been treasuring her more and more, and more.


One thing I’ve always loved about her is that she listens so well you resolve your own problem without her ever having to tell you you're wrong. I can call her with a seemingly legitimate complaint, but a complaint nonetheless, and by the time I’ve ranted and raved she’s said exactly the right words to validate my pain without completely condoning my attitude, that I very often recognize my own selfishness, without her ever having to mention it. I'm not sure that she's ever complained in her life, but somehow she leaves room for me to come to her with anything without being judged. I've never met anyone else who does that so well.

I, obviously, can’t ever guilt trip Angie with such maternal classics as “48 hours of labor and this is the thanks I get?!” “I brought you into this world child, and I can take you out of it!” But that doesn't mean I'm not tempted when I’m feeling completely taken advantage of. However, Mom had some serious ammunition in that area, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t a fun labor, especially with the added pressure of getting this birthing checked off by 5pm so everyone could focus on the more important event of that day -- UL winning the NCAA basketball championship. Not to mention that I earned the nickname Piranha shortly after birth, for reasons I’m sure I don’t need to explain. But the only way you’d know these stories would be from friends or family members that were there, because she’s never once brought them up, let alone used them against me.


Not to mention the notes on the napkins in the lunch box, the Snickers bar surprise snacks before tennis meets, the care packages, cards, and candy for EVERY imaginable holiday, now the babysitting via Skype when this mommy needs a little rest, and the innumerable acts of love that have gone unnoticed but shaped me into exactly who I am today. I could go on and on, but I know that's not what she wants.


The point is, that whenever I’m lost for what to do with Angelica, I think back to what my mom did in the same situation, or I ask in one of the multiple emails we still exchange everyday. Now if only I had half her patience, gentleness, kindness or humility, Angie would be destined for perfection.


By the way, our final adoption audience with the judge is scheduled for tomorrow, so if you could please pray that I can give my perfect Mom her first grandchild as a belated Mother's Day gift, that'd be wonderful. Thank you!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are too kind! I'm very glad to be able to provide some comfort and support in your new 'Adventures with Angie'! She could not have a better mother and I'm sure she'll realize it someday, if not already! Thanks for letting us be so involved in everything that's going on!