Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pretending I'm Allowed to Work on Humans

A dentist, a veterinarian, a medical doctor, and a pastor walk into a bar... Ok, so maybe not a bar, but we really did walk into a market together today. The pastor feels strongly about healing through prayer, so health was definitely one common denominator of our motley crew, the other was our church, La ViƱa.

This morning we set up a little health clinic in a popular market on the outskirts of town. We announced to the customers and vendors alike that we'd be doing some free health screening, and then we tried to organize the 30 or so people that joined us. The dentist, pastor and I took turns checking people in, measuring their blood glucose, and praying for the guests before or after their tests as time allowed, while the doctor measured blood pressure and counseled the patients based on their results.

Some of the sweet ladies couldn't read or write to fill in their personal info on the sign-in sheets, but my favorite was the woman who didn't know how old she was. I told her it really wasn't that important and she could just estimate, but she insisted on going to get her national identity card to find out her age. When I found her birthday on the card and did the math, she was completely incredulous, she made me check my math!

Most of our visitors were very happy to let us pray for them, but one of the my most impacting moments was when the woman I was praying for turned around and prayed, very passionately, for me.

At practically no cost to us, and possibly great preventative benefit to some of our new friends, I think it was a successful morning all around. I look forward to going back in December to further hone my human venipuncture skills and watch God's love in a very tangible way affect people's lives.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a great idea, I can see why you're anxious to do it again. Glad to hear everyone survived! ;0