Friday, December 30, 2011

The Loss of Two of My Heroes

If there are parties in Heaven, Tuesday there was a celebration I would have loved to see. Two dearly dearly beloved children of God were called home after serving their Father with everything in them. It's hard for me to imagine how God could think the world was ready to lose such shining lights for His kingdom here on earth, but I trust His plan and know that they are at home now after fighting a really really good fight.
Merle Watts was the peace amidst the storm. Circa 2001, Merle and his classmate from veterinary school, Marion Hammurlund (above left of me), scouted out an opportunity for veterinarians to serve among the poor in Mexico. That vision trip flourished into a recurring adventure for veterinarians and students alike, that continues to effect hundreds of dogs, cats, and pet-owners with Christ's love every December. The second year of the annual trip I joined the motley crew of surgeons, assistants, pastors, translators, and Christ-followers to help tackle the animal overpopulation problem in San Luis, and later El Golfo, Mexico. What I most remember about Merle's presence on the trips was his calm during the chaos, his smile in every circumstance, and his friendship even to the extent of keeping me company in my Phenergan-induced stupor when I was down with food poisoning. I remember spaying this little dog with gentle Merle, nearly 20 years after his last surgery. And I will never forget the constant support he's been to me since I moved on from Mexico to Bolivia.
Douglass Macintire, or known to the thousands who were fortunate enough to love her, Dougie, was a mother, veterinarian, professor, editor of prestigious journals, leader at the university level, sought after consultant and speaker, but more than anything servant of her Lord Jesus Christ. Her year and a half long battle with cancer was one of the most powerful testimonies of faith and walking with Christ through a storm that I've ever seen, and the innumerable stories of people influenced by her life, is proof that her life was a public testimony long before the storm came. She did not wait to share her faith until she had a platform or a captive audience, in fact, I don't remember a day that I knew her when she didn't energize me to know Christ more.
My favorite memory of dear, sweet, faithful Dougie is embodied in this picture below of her praying for one of the pastors' wives that we visited every year on the trip. Trini had a persistent cough and gastric reflux for years, that all the Omeprazole and Tums we left with her couldn't resolve, but the prayers of the Saints knocked out completely. Dougie never passed up a chance to talk to her Savior, and now she sits at His feet soaking in His every word.
This year's team of Auburn students and veterinarians returned from Mexico last week, after a week of spaying and neutering 110 dogs and cats. I hope Merle and Dougie were proud to hear of the continued impact their legacy leaves, and I hope they see now how many of our lives they touched, inspired, comforted, healed, and brought closer to Christ. Now that I think about it, with tear-filled eyes, God is probably right; they've done enough here, it's time for them to be home...

"Well done, good and faithful servant!" -Matthew:25:21

2 comments:

Michelle Haynes said...

So very well said. I knew Dr. Mac better than Dr. Merle but I am sure for both--they fought the good fight and kept the faith and have received a crown of righteousness! And both will be sorely missed here below.

Lisa said...

What a blessing for you to know both of them, sorry to hear that you lost them both at once. God's timing is always perfect though.