Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Real Impact

If you're keeping up with the blog, more than likely you understand what I do when I'm not helping Angie with homework or snuggling with Jon, but as frequently as I'm getting asked, "So, are you practicing at a clinic again?" and similar questions, I thought it was worth clearing up. I remember when I was just a normal vet, years ago (it's been a long time since I was normal), that I appreciated how simple it was to tell people what I did.  "I'm a veterinarian," was about all you had to say as a job description and everyone understood. Now, I'm a veterinarian, but it's a little more complicated than that.  As CVM's Southeast Regional Representative, I'm not kissing on puppies and kitties so much as networking with people. Last weekend, was the culmination of a lot of my work for the past couple months since returning to the States, and a confirmation for me that I really LOVE my new role!
Every year, CVM puts on about six Real Life/Real Impact Conferences, one for each region of the U.S. It's a weekend for vet students to come from the area and hear from speakers and other students about using their profession as ministry. This year, we used Auburn University to host students, vets, and spouses, from nine vet schools as far away as Virginia and Iowa. And, from what I hear, it doesn't sound like any of those participants regret a single hour of their long drive, or lost study time.  
Dr. Kim Carney is a great friend and future Bolivia CVM fieldworker, who came down to join us for RLRI.
From Friday afternoon till late Saturday night, about 185 of us laughed, listened, and worshipped. We had nearly 20 speakers, with talk titles such as "I Married a Veterinarian... and So Did my Wife." "Are you a Mature Watermelon?" and my own, "Is that God Speaking, or Just Indigestion?" We enjoyed hearing from past long-term fieldworkers, experts on short-term missions, and counselors on how to transition out of school into practice, or how to balance your faith, family, and career. My only regret is that we didn't get all of the sessions recorded so we could continue to benefit from so many good ideas.
Jessica, Kelly, and Christan, volunteered like crazy to make the conference run like a well-oiled machine.
As inspiring as the speakers were, even more refreshing for the students may have been
the meal and prayer times, where the students and vets had the chance for more 
interaction. One student said, "I have been really religiously malnourished recently, more so emaciated. I loved getting to be here and soak up Christ and my Christian friends."
Nearly 200 people letting loose after 2 days of intense fun, fellowship, and learning.
So, that's what I do now.  Facilitate ministry through veterinary medicine to students and vets in the Southeast U.S.  As you can see from the picture above, it's not boring!  

Susan and Tom tie the knot!
In other big news, at the same time I was trying to basically herd cats, by coordinating so many free-thinkers, my mother in-law was getting married right up the street from Auburn, in Atlanta. I missed the wedding, but I got to visit with her on Thursday at her Bridal Shower, and I heard that everything was beautiful.  More pictures of both big weekend events on Facebook and in my next CVM prayer letter.

No comments: