Monday, May 6, 2013

So Proud of These Two

Pride has such negative connotation, and with good reason. A quick search will tell you that in the Bible it accompanies jealousy, deceit, corruption, destruction, and many other vices. But that same word-study would also lead you to Paul's frequent positive use of being "proud" in reference to others. It seems like pride in one's self goes just a step before a fall, but pride in others is more akin to respect. And that's what I mean when I say that I'm so proud of Jon and Angie.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd marry someone so handy. Honestly, I didn't even know such ingenious men existed. Pretty much weekly, Jon dives into a project the likes of which he's never done before. And even though I'm much cheaper than he is, these are all projects I'd gladly pay someone to do, but am so grateful we don't have to. A couple weeks ago he spent an entire Saturday, which was previously booked solid with activities and errands, changing the starter in one of our cars. Next, after various professionals failed to come up with a good approach for repairing the wall between our living room and family room, Jon decided to cut a hole in the hardwood floor, he'd laid himself, to solve the air return problem. And then, when he learned there was no pre-fab duct work to connect to the hole he'd made, he brought home sheet metal and we built our own from scratch.
He changes the oil in the cars, he replaces the heating element in the water heater, he switches out the plumbing in the shower, he drywalls, he amazes me regularly. And as much as I try to hurry him along with the "good enough" motto I perfected in Bolivia, he still never cuts corners. If it were up to me, our list of home repairs might get checked off a little more quickly, but we'd surely have to repair all the same things again within a month or two, as I'd leave all sorts of important loose ends untied. I'm so glad the Lord didn't give me someone like myself to partner with, but someone who complements me so much better.

Also inspiring awe, Angie is taking big kid steps way out of her comfort zone. As most of you know, "Louisville is the only place that cancels school so kids can learn to gamble, smoke cigars, and drink mint juleps," for Oaks Day, the Friday before the KY Derby. But instead of dropping her off to enjoy the infield at Churchill Downs, Fellowship of Christian Athletes gave me the alternative to leave her with them for the morning for a Superstar Athlete competition. Even though she didn't know a sole in attendance she stayed and played like a champ. And because she'll so quickly tell you that I've never missed a sporting event, or birthday, of hers, I snuck back early to join her for the award ceremony.
Each child participated in six events, and I think with the commotion and minor language barrier Angie may have been at a slight disadvantage understanding some instructions. But when it came to one sport, you didn't have to tell her twice what to do. She's ridiculously fast, and natural at a lot of sports, but tennis isn't one of those talents you can really be born with, you either work your tail off or you lose. And for that reason, I was more proud of Angie for winning first place in the Tennis Serves Accuracy competition than any race in the world, because it showed she'd worked hard at something that didn't come easily to her, a big accomplishment for someone who's usually quite content to rest on her innate athletic prowess.  

Now back to keeping these two well fed and encouraged, so they can finish the dry wall and secure that college scholarship...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember playing volleyball with Angelica on the cancha one of the early days at Talita Cumi, and being impressed with how naturally athletic she was too! Way to go, Angie! -- Tia Kim :)