Tuesday, September 22, 2015

7 Months of Perfection

I see now why 7 is the number for perfection in the Bible. Although, I didn't think there was anything wrong with 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1 months, 7 is pretty awesome.

Since, it's still difficult to determine the exact lessons Zy's processing, I thought I'd jot down some of what I've been learning recently.

I'm learning that although the hours in a day may not be, kisses and hugs are infinite.  

I'm learning that even though your baby's a voracious drinker, that does not guarantee he will instantly be a voracious eater. More than a month into feeding solids, and Zy's yet to like anything we've offered him, except his teething carrot, which may as well be plastic for all he knows.

Mostly I'm learning that against all odds, and I'd bet most of your predictions, I'm the biggest pushover any baby's ever had for a mom. True to my no-nonsense personality I'm a pretty tough, direct, consistent, for-your-own-good teenager mom. But when it comes to Sweet Cheeks here, I'm a puddle. Like, a mushy puddle of apple sauce. And now that I'm often covered in apple sauce it seems fitting.

This kid will likely never sleep more than 5 hours in a row, cause I'm just convinced he'll starve overnight if I don't feed him at least once. I mean, if I let him start metabolizing some of those fat stores in his sleep, his thighs won't be nearly as squishy and wonderful.

I'm learning that I'm supposed to let him struggle and figure things out for himself, but that's a real struggle for me. I'll probably have to carry him to college cause I can't stand to leave anything far enough out of his reach that he has to move to get it. Plus, I barely let him out of my arms. This technique is surely terribly useless in building self confidence or mobility, but excellent for maintaining all that aforementioned thigh chub!

I've also been learning that my better half doesn't have any more of a backbone than I do when it comes to denying our munchkin. I've started firmly telling Zy "No" when he drops things off his high chair, and Jon's sure I'm scarring him for life.

I'm learning that just like so many people told us, it does just keep getting better. I didn't think it was possible.

I'm gaining empathy, acquiring patience, achieving gentleness, and finding so much joy.

And I'm learning more and more every day about God's unconditional love for us. At the University of Tennessee's vet school Bible study last week, we closed with How Deep the Father's Love for Us, and as I held my only son close, I teared up thinking of just how vast is His love for us that He gave His only Son to make us His treasure.


And now, what you're probably really here for, some photos of Zy's 7th month:
7 month birthday smorgasbord!


Smorgasbord gone terribly wrong.


Does anyone else see a young Otis from Andy Griffith here?






Made a new friend Elijah in Tennessee.


Trying to say "Bbbbbb," like his new friend, but only succeeding in spitting a lot.
Sissy's gonna have him in shape in no time.



Had a sweet visit from his doting great grandparents.







So grown up.
But still my spoiled rotten cuddle bug.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HE IS SOOOO CUTE!!!!! I LOVE WHAT YOU WROTE!!!