Thursday, October 1, 2015

Myth Busters

"You can't spoil a newborn."

Well, it looks like we've busted that myth out of the water!
I'm not sure who coined this phrase, but it sure spread like wildfire. It's been quoted to me so many times I googled it to see when "newborn" ended, so I'd know when my infant was likely to suffer permanent damage from my doting.

Even my Baby App updates remind me that our precious angel from heaven is unspoilable, assuaging any guilt I feel for snuggling him "too" much. And then there are family and friends posting quotes like this on my Facebook wall:
You don't have to tell me twice, you don't even have to make it rhyme. I was on board this train from Day 1. "Sidekick" has reached whole new levels of togetherness in our relationship. 

Although Jon and I both STRUGGLED with thumb sucking until approximately middle school age, we let, even encouraged, Zy to find and use his thumb to his heart's content. It's cute! We'll worry about the price of braces later, for now, he can't be spoiled.

And sleeping. This is how your babies all nap, right?

The longest I've been away from our 7-month-old is ~3 hours, and the longest I've slept since he was born is 5. We're hooked on each other. And I'm afraid it's starting to show.

Jon kept Isaiah Sunday morning so I could host a fellowship breakfast for CVM downtown before church. He cried for an hour after I left, Isaiah that is, I'm not sure how long Jon cried.

We've dropped Isaiah off in the church nursery 4 weekends now. Our Child ID has been called (he was so upset we had to go pick him up) 3 of those 4 weekends!!

If you've met him, you know he's the sweetest thing since candy corn. The number one question I get when I have him at tennis matches, parties, or conference booths is, "Is he always this happy?" 

He thought he was hot stuff as the Associate Dean of Auburn's vet school hauled him off for a tour of the booths in the exhibit hall. 
I guess the answer is, 'Apparently, only when I'm around.' Our child is behind in most milestones such as holding his head up, sitting unassisted, and eating anything but paper and cell phones, but it appears he's precocious in the area of separation anxiety. So, don't expect to see me without my tiny assistant for another few years. Looks like we'll be enjoying church from the Cry Room for quite some time. This is pretty much my motto anyway:

"Don’t you see that children are God’s best gift?" -Psalms 127:3 TM

No comments: