Friday, May 27, 2016

Our 15 Month Evolution of Reading

Initially, Isaiah was a voracious reader, chewing on any book he could get his mouth on.

Then, he moved on to turning the pages so fast you could never read all the words no matter how brief the sentence, or how fast you read.

I was pleased when he started holding still long enough to touch the textured pages on some of his board books, so we went through those over and over.

But then...
"Again please," he begs with his eyes. We read this 6 page book about 15 times.
...last week, he walked up and handed me a book.

I put down what I was doing and scooped him up in my lap. He sat patiently while I read it to him. And then read it again. In my euphoric-state I promised him that whenever he brought me a book I would always stop what I was doing and read it to him.

I overpromised. I know.

But guys, I was so excited. So far, I've been able to hold to that promise, but I know he'll soon be manipulating a later bedtime with more books, and asking me to read when I'm doing something that needs to get done. 

For now, though, I'm going to read to him. I'm going to read him board books, and pop-up books. Nursery Rhymes, and Spanish books. Books about trucks, trains, plants, and animals, so many books about animals! I'm not sure if I'll be sad that he's growing up, or proud of him, when he first realizes the three little bunnies are just my fingers in the puppets of one of his current favorite books. I'll read him all sorts of children's Bibles. Rhyming Bibles, picture Bibles, Bibles with touch and feel pages, and books that sing songs to him about Jesus.

And then as he outgrows baby books, I'll read to him big kid stories. Books about planets, nature, science, and robots... I'll read him missionary biographies and historical fiction. I'll read him chapter books before he can read. And then, once he can, we'll read them together for as long as he'll let me.

I know there's nothing profound here, but reading is such a beautiful opportunity. It's an opportunity to spend undivided time with one another, in a world of distractions. It's a chance to stretch his vocabulary and build his self confidence. It's a way to grow his mind and expand his horizons boundlessly. It's an attempt to lengthen his attention span. And it's my dream that he will start a love relationship with books that will last a lifetime.

You see, I've got a chance with this kiddo that I never had with my rising high-schooler. Our soon-to-be freshman was almost certainly not read to when she was young, and it has wreaked havoc on her education. Five years of futilely forcing books on her of every genre and she still abhors reading.

I can't guarantee Isaiah will be an avid reader someday, devouring books like he did when he was a teething infant. But I can guarantee I will do everything in my power to instill a love for reading in him.

And maybe, just maybe, if they read together, there's still hope for the big one too.
They're both panting like the dog in the picture. Zy pants or says "Sit" every time he sees anything like a dog.


He literally asks "This?"



No comments: