Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Walk Down Memory Lane

Sometimes when you have a good day, you have to be sure to capture it on "film."

Last week, Facebook reminded me of some pretty cool memories.

8 years ago, I was on my 5th short-term mission trip to Mexico. Spaying and neutering our way through a couple towns, sharing Christ's love in broken Spanish, and building relationships that continue to this day. A CVM team just went back before Christmas, it sure would be nice to head back there myself some day.


Facebook also reminded me that I was on a mission trip the same day 7 years ago, in Bolivia. My future hubs, was visiting and we ventured into a very remote village called Lapiani with my Bolivian church to love on the folks in a tangible way. I did vet work on the local livestock and pets, while Jon impressed my socks off by washing feet, trimming toenails, and fitting the people for new shoes. All the heart eyes....
I lost the Facebook "Memory" but here's the image that it reminded me of 7 years ago.
And here's Jon unwittingly making me swoon.
Apparently all the other ladies were flocking to him as well.

Just one year later, as Facebook sweetly reminded me, was the day Angie moved in with me. She's been living with me for 6 years!! I love this photo of her first night as my family.

Things have changed a bit since January 3, 2011. Fast forward over half a decade, and this is what my current mission field looks like:
Long-term "missions" come at a higher price, requiring regular sacrifice for days and years on end. The mountaintop experience we have on a weeklong trip overseas doesn't come as often when we're in the trenches of "normal" life. However, the impact we have on those we invest in is greater. It's often difficult to look back on the time when adventure and service were simple, regular parts of my world years ago, without a bit of longing for such a lifestyle again. But I know what tribe God has given me to serve at present, and it's really a pretty awesome gig.

No comments: