Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Empathy Does Not Come Naturally to Me

Understanding what others are going through and fully relating to them in their trials is not one of my strong suits. If it's an ordeal I've already experienced however, I'm right there with you. For instance, childbirth; I'll identify with you at every turn as you endure the 9 months of carrying and waiting, and then try to survive the hours, or days, of bringing that baby into the outside world.

Other than the nausea, fatigue, heartburn, discomfort etc. of pregnancy though, I'm not particularly used to being sick. So, sometimes God hits me with a bug to remind me what others suffer through regularly when feeling horrible. And just recently, He helped me understand something much worse--having a sick kiddo.
Right before Christmas, Isaiah had an anaphylactic reaction to cashews on a drive between Lexington and Louisville. When he started vomiting all over his car seat, I could barely keep it together. Praise the Lord he never had difficulty breathing. And we're so thankful that Norton Hospital had a special Children's ER to get us in super fast and pamper him with stickers, videos, and treats, while they tortured him with needles and monitors.
The toe monitor was probably the most aggravating part of the whole ordeal for him.
Even with all the excitement, he didn't fall asleep till 1:00am in the ER.
Skin testing to find out what he's allergic to.
Blood testing to see how severe his allergies are.
So now, not only can I relate better to mommas with sick babies in the hospital, I'm starting to grasp what it's like to read labels, carry Epi-pens, and pay attention to what Isaiah and the rest of us are putting in our bodies.

If you're gluten free, vegetarian, allergic to tree nuts, or just trying to watch your carbs, I'm definitely more sensitive to your lifestyle than I was before. Now, if only I could empathize with others without walking a mile in their shoes, maybe God wouldn't see fit to lend me a pair every once in a while.

"Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." - Romans 12:15

No comments: