Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Heroes of the Faith

In the book Crazy Love, the author Francis Chan moves one step beyond the surreal inspirational figures of faith commonly referred to in Hebrews 11 by describing current day Christian celebrities and some yet-unknown amazing servants of Christ. Assuming that it may be hard to relate to and be motivated to take risks by characters from thousands of years ago, he details stories of everyday people from this generation. People like Shane Claiborne of Irresistible Revolution, and Rachel Saint of End of the Spear definitely inspire me to dream big, but they're still so far away that it's easy to distance myself from their radical lifestyles.

Last week, however, I traveled to Kansas City, for a Christian Veterinary Mission conference. I was so blessed to be surrounded by my own 'heroes of the faith', missionaries to Thailand, Haiti, Ethiopia, Mongolia, Nicaragua, and Bolivia, with up to 27 years of service on the field in long-term veterinary missions. It's hard not to be moved into action by these undeniably real and huggable superstars. Not only did I get to practice working on pigs, goats, calves, horses and chickens, I also got to relish in the first hand experiences of my heroes. My faith was encouraged by the lives of worship and service these men and women have enjoyed and my dedication was challenged by the pungent (and lingering) aroma of goats and the deafening squeals of the pigs. I think I'll be investing in some earplugs soon.

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." -Hebrews 12:1-2

1 comment:

Devin Maureen said...

What an awesome experience!