Sunday, August 3, 2008

Retraction/Reprieve

"Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am." -Philippians 4:11-13 The Message

Whether in Bolivia, Florida, Oregon, or Baltimore this summer God has given me a great peace and almost a supernatural lack of homesickness. Whether Mosaic's interim Children's Minister, a veterinarian, or a weekend Bed and Breakfast host, the Lord has been teaching me to be content in all circumstances.

After an emotional roller-coaster of a week since my last post, Mosaic has hired a permanent, qualified children's minister, Lisa Molite
. My tenure was short and sweet. I didn't have time to do any harm, and just barely had time to grow a little fond of the position. Thank you for your encouragement, thoughts, and prayers this week, they meant so much to me.

One may wonder what God's purposes were for the events of this past few days, and I could never be sure. But would venture to guess He was asking me just how flexible and use-able I was really planning to be when I joined Mosaic and said 'use me in whatever way you can.'

I may not have mastered the secret of being content in every situation, but I appreciate the lessons God has had for me in this area and the serenity that feels as if it only could have come from Him.


For those of you wondering where this leaves me as a volunteer with Mosaic, I'm heading back to my comfort zone, behind the scenes. It looks like I'll get to work with tech during the service, and then mingle with our guests in the First Steps area afterward. But I hope not to get too attached to any one position, so I can hold true to my purpose for being here and serve wherever most needed.

No comments: