Thursday, September 4, 2008

September 4th not only marks 10 DAYS left till Mosaic Christian Church's official grand opening, but also my last scheduled fast for the church. For a year up to the launch Mosaic has had someone fasting and praying for it everyday. I don't believe it makes a difference in God's plan whether we switch shifts exactly at midnight, but I do think it's been a cool gimmick to encourage people to have very focused prayer time for the church.

I know it has reminded me to lift up the details, the mission teams, the community, the staff, and mostly just surrender it all to God's sovereignty.

My monthly day has also allowed me to concentrate my prayer on other timely matters. The 4th of February was the day before the first Post. The 4th of June I was in Bolivia seeking to understand God's will. The 4th of July our Post mission team was helping us reach out at a local Independence Day event.

Recognizing hunger pains, like we so rarely really do in the U.S., allows me to empathize to a small degree with so many around the world who experience them everyday. It has shed a whole new light on our common phrases, "I'm starving!" and "I have to get something to eat."

But most of all fasting has reminded me that "man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord," Deuteronomy 8:3, and that "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me," Philippians 4:13.

I've really enjoyed this experience. Maybe you should pray about fasting regularly, maybe even fast about it. Hehe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

see you in a few days