Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Petting Lions

Does everybody else enjoy the story of Daniel in the lion's den as much as I do? Maybe I'm so enamored with it because I love big fluffy cats. Tell me you aren't wishing you could be in the lion's den running your hand through Aslan's mane or riding on his back? Okay, maybe I have an inadequate respect for these hungry lions, as is demonstrated when Daniel returns from their presence unscathed, but King Darius throws his accusers into the den and they don't even reach the floor before their families are devoured.

But what struck me last night when I read chapter 6 of the book of Daniel was the impression he left on the people around him. Look at how he impacted his co-workers:

"Then this Daniel began distinguishing himself among the commissioners and satraps because he possessed an extraordinary spirit, and the king planned to appoint him over the entire kingdom." -Daniel 6:3 NASB

" Finally these men said, "We will never find any basis for charges against this man Daniel unless it has something to do with the law of his God." Daniel 6:5 NIV

"The king said to Daniel, "May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!" " Daniel 6:16 NIV

Talk about work-place ministry!
"When he came near the den, he (King Darius) called to Daniel in an anguished voice, "Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions?" Daniel 6:20 NIV

It makes me question how set apart I am. Can people recognize me as a Christian? Does my attitude reflect 'the God whom I serve continually'? They're definitely not calling me 'extraordinary'. Plenty of room for improvement I suppose.

No comments: