Monday, April 6, 2009

Aging Reluctantly

A couple weeks ago I turned 29. Which doesn't feel a lot different from 28 but it sure sounds worse, mostly because I don't really like prime numbers. A few things have happened since the year flipped over in my internal calendar...

Friday, I went to a an awesome concert. Two of the guys on Mosaic's worship team are in another band called One Minute. About 10 people from Mosaic, and a lot of people from elsewhere, went to cheer them on at a really popular venue in Baltimore, Rams Head Live. Having been out of the club scene for so long, and knowing it was an all ages show, I left my ID in the car. The ticket guy's insistence that I had to prove I was over 21 to be stamped, and the aroma of the large black X's marked on my hands was enough to whisk me back nearly a decade to the days when I was labeled thus regularly at shows.

The next morning a group of us went to RICA to love on the teenagers who live there, via high intensity childish sports. I literally, cannot remember the last time I played tag. It had also been too long since I did a somersault, played kickball, or jumped rope. As we were leaving the director thanked us mentioning that they love anyone under 30. A few of us groaned a bit as that number is just around the corner, but I'm pretty sure if all it takes to entertain those otherwise surly teens is to run around a gym like a foolish 20-something I should be able to pull that off for many years to come.

And finally, as the landmark of 30 knocks at the door, I've set a personal goal to like, or at least be more tolerant of, all foods by that milestone birthday. In pursuit of this dream I've recently eaten raw celery, ingested raw onions, and even purchased raw peppers. Knowing that Bolivia will be filled with scary foods and the expected courtesy that I will swallow them all with a gracious smile. I'm pretty sure that for the sake of the gospel, Paul endured hardships even worse than cilantro.

"And He said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 18:4,5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eating cilantro - that is the ultimate sacrifice! I'm proud that you're willing to make it -

Love
Mom