Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Moving along, but feeling just as far away

So, I wasn't completely successful in my goal of condensing everything I own into one carload, (or even two or three.) But I have succeeded in moving. Small victories. And I feel a personal sense of accomplishment that I downsized enough to tote everything across town single-handedly. Considering it took nine of us to move all my junk up to that third floor apartment last June in the 98 degree heat, I think I've spared a few people the uncomfortable sense of obligation to exchange their blood, sweat, and splinters for free pizza, or some other equally disproportionate trade.

This morning I allowed myself to be poked, prodded, and nearly exsanguinated by a doctor to be cleared to move overseas and serve as a fieldworker for CVM. Let's hope my lab tests don't reveal any incubating Swine Flu germs, I don't think Bolivia's been exposed yet...

Last night while watching the fantastic movie, Bella, I became a bit more concerned than usual, that I'll never fit into the Latin culture. Impenetrable barriers such as their taste for spicy food, dancing, tequila, soccer, and of course--the only area in which I have any hope (and little of that some days)--Spanish, all stand in the way of me losing the "gringa"-status and being seen as anything but a tourist. Oh well, I'll keep working on it, but until then:
"“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me."
-2 Corinthians 12:9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, weakness is painful, but the pain leads to joy when we realize it is from God. Thanks for the reminder -

Love
Mom

LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

You'll be fine friend! We are praying for ya and don't sweat the swine flu!