Thursday, May 7, 2009

You may now get comfortable again

...but I hope you won't.
The Get Uncomfortable growth group has officially come to a clo
se. Last Sunday, we visited Frontline, a ministry of McLean Bible Church, to hear Todd Philips, the author of the study, preach. And then followed up with cupcakes, and garlic fries at a nearby restaurant. Tonight, we helped rebuild a playground as our group's service project, and ended the evening with pizza and cupcakes. I can't decide which has been the better marker of a successful small group semester, the level of community we've achieved or the number of cupcakes we've consumed...

The Waverly Playground in downtown Baltimore was burnt to the ground last September, this week ~1,000 volunteers are putting it back together. Participating in this construction made me reminiscent of my other carpentry attempts: assembling many pieces of IKEA furniture, assisting on Southeast's Easter Pageant set, and contributing to the massive chorus of hammering in Help Build Hope, the event where Southeast members framed over 30 homes for Hurricane Katrina victims. On each of these projects there has been at least one step that I have had to dismantle and start over, but as far as I know all the IKEA pieces are still standing, and I sure hope the houses in the gulf coast are. Jesus' career as a carpenter makes me appreciate Him even more!

Mike and Jason moving lumber.
(It was really some kind of synthetic--arson-resistant--wood, probably not called lumber)

Tom, my great partner, who let me feel useful, and asked me if I was a student!
(It must have been the pigtails)

Kate and Charis designing a tire swing.
(I don't think I'd take the first spin if I were you)My friend Debra, the RICA volunteer-coordinator who shared this opportunity with us.The after-party at Joe Squared to celebrate Charis' birthday.

In about 10 days, brand new growth groups will begin and our members will be scattered among five or six different options. But I pray the relationships we've established will continue to grow and the paradigm shift we've had about service will last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Baltimore will never be the same because of you and Mosaic church! God is good to let us help in His work -

Love
Mom