Thursday, May 21, 2009

Freedom to Spend Myself

I used to dream of a job that would allow me (and enable me to afford) to participate in every short-term mission trip that caught my eye. Last summer, I reveled in that dream's fulfillment, as working with Mosaic afforded me the opportunity to be a part of six teams over the months building up to our September launch. Today, I once again counted the blessings that this year's schedule has granted me.

After visiting the new baby of a Louisville friend from the '80's this morning, and between covering the front desk at the RMH over lunch and weeding the new garden at TSW this afternoon, I had a quick conversation with my friend Chris, about this evening's spring formal at RICA. During which he questioned incredulously, "Don't you work?!" "Not on Thursdays," was my cavalier response, but shortly thereafter I was struck by how fortunate I have been this year to be able to say 'yes' to things an ordinary work schedule would never permit.

Serving regularly with the same community partners has given me the chance to build relationships with both the leaders and members of these organizations. As much as I believe God designed us for these bonds, it's going to make it much more difficult to move on, now that I've invested my heart and not just my hands. Tonight at RICA's spring formal I learned that I am no better suited for mixers than I was fifteen years ago, but it is much more amusing to watch the awkward middle school slow dance from the sidelines. My date was our new Mosaic intern, Amanda, who I should probably keep at arms length as well, because I can already see that we are getting attached. But I do agree "tis better to have loved and lost..." and I'm pretty sure that applies to interns and churches, as well as teenagers at their spring dance.

No comments: