Friday, May 29, 2009

Happily after ever...

I may have shed a tear during Fireproof tonight. I think that either makes me a poor movie connoisseur or a hopeless romantic. Either way, I'm blaming it on the relentless persistence with which marriage has been inundating my schedule this week.

Last Sunday, I went back to Louisville, for the first time in almost a year, to see two of my dear friends chose to be best friends for the rest of their lives. It was magical to witness how much it meant to them and to be a part of something so beautiful, genuine, and personal. (Between Brian Sites, Phil Wickham, U2, and Relient K, the music wasn't too shabby either.)
Less than 12 hours later I got to pre-celebrate my cousins future matrimony with a Bridal shower full of wedding talk. Back in Maryland Tuesday, on my lunch break I interrupted the Bridal shower my roommate was throwing a co-worker at our house, and faithfully did my part to prevent the other ladies from overindulging in cupcakes.

This afternoon I got together with a friend who is preparing to leave her husband. I listened to a story of a life I could not imagine for myself, and offered my unsolicited opinions with the lack of credibility having never been married myself provides.

And then I watched Fireproof. It may have been corny or low-budget, but it was sweet and sincere and true to the intent of marriage. The selflessness of a spouse is probably the closest we'll ever get to emulating Jesus, and true love can only come from God.

"Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They're really doing themselves a favor—since they're already "one" in marriage." -Ephesians 5:25-28 (The Message)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope Dad doesn't see this - he'll think you're going soft!

You're pretty good at emulating Jesus' love yourself! :]

love
Mom