Friday, May 15, 2009

Career Day makes me glad my career is not teaching

Today, I visited one of Mosaic's community partners, Jessup Elementary School, for career day. On a sunny Friday afternoon, when the kids haven't had a real class all day, anyone's gonna be hard pressed to keep them focused, but when you bring a cute dog with tricks into the room, mayhem is inevitable. We spoke to 9 classes of 1st, 4th, and 5th graders. Corona, my furry friend, was a perfect assistant, and the kids were hilarious. Every "question" turned into "Um, one time..." and ended with a lengthy inaudible statement about an animal. After much prompting some of them did actually have questions about being a veterinarian, such as, "Sometimes when animals are too sick to fix do you have to take them to the pound?" And the classic, "Um, do veterinarians have to eat only vegetables?" Hehe.

One student (pictured above) even dressed up like a vet. Most flattering were some of the farewells, my favorites being, a girl who blew me a kiss --it may h
ave been directed at Corona--and one who said, "You rock!"
Teachers, I applaud you! I need a nap and I'm pretty sure Corona will sleep well tonight too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny post!! You can fill in for Dave Barry if he takes another sabbatical.

love
Mom