Monday, April 20, 2009

Going, Going, Gone!

Well, not quite in auction-fashion as the title would have you believe, but through a series of events this past week, I've nearly downsized to my goal. After our final Get Uncomfortable small group meeting last Thursday a few of the group members went through my library, wardrobe, and furnishings and participated in my personal redistribution of wealth program.

I love seeing friends and strangers take some of my favorite books. Knowing that Harry Potter, Princess Buttercup, Howard Roark, and Rhett Butler will continue to entertain and inspire long after I'm far away is comforting. But the most fun part for me is when people tell me these gently used goods will remind them of me, for instance Channelle says every time she throws something away in my old trash can she'll remember to pray for me. And when Charis and Kate adopted a couple of my hoodies with "Spears" embroidered on them I was so touched and reassured to know that even though I'll be out of sight in Bolivia, my ministry won't necessarily be out of mind.

On Saturday, we put together a very large multi-family yard sale. Although the snowcones and baked goods may have done the most business, it was a gorgeous day to hangout on the lawn and get to know some Mosaic families a little better. After the stream of shoppers stopped flowing, we packed up our merchandise and I dropped off an SUV-sized donation to Goodwill. Now, if I can just keep from acquiring anything more (that stop in Barnes and Noble yesterday may have been ill-advised) I'll be in great shape for a few relocations over the next couple months, starting next week...

"A man there was, tho' some did count him mad
The more he gave away the more he had."
"He that bestows his goods upon the poor
Shall have as much again, and ten times more."
-Paul Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

1 comment:

Kate said...

I love that I have your hoodie! And every time I wear it not only will I think of you and pray for you.. but it will open opportunities to share what a great God we serve!