Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Less and Less Likely to be Deported

Continuing on the theme; confused, I took my first overnight bus to Santa Cruz this weekend to tie up some loose ends. I don't think that bus terminal was the least bit concerned about me finding my bus. But with a little help from God I'm sure, I made the ten hour bus trip each way safely.

Last week, I became less of an illegal resident here when I finally received my one-year Visa. In the ongoing process of becoming more and more legal, I needed to head back to Santa Cruz to have my picture and thumbprints
taken for my carnet, or national identification card. Because flying is so much more expensive and I am so cheap, I chose the "flota", or bus, option. Fortunately, the ridiculously hot weather they've been having that I was
expecting, did not greet me but was replaced by the cooler mugginess the rains brought. However, the mosquitoes did not fail to welcome me very warmly.

While there, I stayed with my great friends, the Janeckes, ran with my kindred spirit, Heather, and made some cool new backpacking friends as well. I shopped for a vehicle hardy enough for the roadless countryside I'll work in, large enough for teams and equipment, and reasonable enough to squeeze into my budget. I also, looked at some options for places to live once I master* Spanish and move back to Santa Cruz for work. Both of these decisions (driving and housing) were largely centered around
you and being able to comfortably accommodate you on your visits. Therefore, I will be sure to have a hammock no matter where I live, and my car will definitely be able to take you to views like this one that greeted me shortly after sunrise from my bus this morning...

*My use of the word "master" here is, of course, tongue in cheek.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to come visit! Tell us when mosquito season is over -

Love
Mom